Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Gregg Allman: The Haunting Has Begun


Today I listened to the first track "My Only True Friend" from Gregg Allman's new album on Rounder Records to be released in September and it "haunts" me just as he had hoped. 

The lyrics are incredibly personal...he was so aware of the time he had left, and he made use of every precious moment. 

"You and I both know this river will surely flow to an end
Keep me in your heart, Keep your soul on the mend
I hope you’re haunted by the music of my soul when I’m gone
Please don’t fly away and find you a new love
I just can’t face living this life alone
I can’t bear to think this might be the end
But You and I both know
the road is my only true friend" 


~ Gregg Allman  "My Only True Friend"

If this is a harbinger of things to come, "Southern Blood" set to drop September 8th, will be remarkable. 

We all know our time on this earth is finite, but Gregg was well aware that his clock was counting down and there is a sweet melancholy that can only come from someone grounded in the blues. I await this album with a sad joy...knowing it will be an outstanding piece of work, and lamenting that it is also a farewell. 

Thank you for this parting gift Gregg Allman. The music of your soul will indeed haunt us all. 


Making the most of every minute and leaving behind something beautiful: that is Living Fully.

listen to "My Only True Friend"




2 comments: